Two topic open thread

1. Via Chuckles [ta], the damaged disc:

Here’s their story:

Broken Cable Damages Arecibo Observatory

N.O. staff have scathing things to say about it but rather than that, let’s throw it open to you to comment first. My interest is not debate but to see if we come out with the same notions.

2. Via Rossa’s mother [ta], this look at the Beirut explosion:

Once again, same as with the previous one, let’s wait and see what you come out with first.

11 comments for “Two topic open thread

1. Distant Relative
    August 13, 2020 at 18:36

2. Uh huh. Before the dust had time to settle Macron was on the scene. No-one has addressed that yet that I’ve seen.

When the Donald pulled the plug on USA’s involvement with the Iran Deal, Macron was first off the block with his state visit to try to persuade him not to, closely followed by Merkel though she only got lunch (then Bodger Johnson was sent over iirc). Macron checking on his investments, arms stash, just being neighbourly, none of the above?

2. dearieme
    August 13, 2020 at 18:54

Beirut: I’ve no idea what caused the explosion but at least this chap doesn’t talk rot about a nuclear attack. And he understands why the cloud forms.

But what’s his evidence that Hez stored all their missiles at the docks? And why would they choose to store them next to nearly three thousand tons of ammonium nitrate?

3. August 13, 2020 at 19:03

My issue with the thread thing was the breathlessness, the ‘totally’ this and that in capitals. It obscures the message badly.

4. Andy5759
    August 14, 2020 at 00:32

Would the Arecibo telescope be able to detect lumps of something launched towards a small target on Earth? The kinetic energy of a thick iron rod could do a lot of damage if it survived burning up on entry.

• Chuckles
      August 14, 2020 at 09:14

No, not unless it was transmitting it’s intentions as it toodled along. Arecibo is a radio telescope. Would probably pick up quite a nice signature when your object hit the atmosphere though.

5. August 14, 2020 at 04:48

The curse of Trevelyan.

6. August 14, 2020 at 06:06

Aye.

The point we were going to make about the radio telescope was that the damage was from poor maintenance and that was down to the type of people calling themselves scientists and engineers these days and that comes back to the quality of the education and aptitude.

7. Toodles
    August 14, 2020 at 18:35

as it toodled along….

Wha? Wha? Did I hear my name? No? Oooookay…I thought I heard someone….no? Hmmmm.

• August 14, 2020 at 19:38

I was about to write that Toodles seemed to have dumped us but lo and behold – here she is. 🙂

8. Toodles
    August 15, 2020 at 06:03

I keep up with you folks! I try anyway.
    Not a day goes by that I don’t get my Nourishment!

Comments are closed.