Sunday too

12. Good luck with this, says haiku

11. Not the slightest hypocrisy from Sparkle and Hal

Meghan and Harry Markle take a trip in a 2.6 tonne 6 litre Chevvy Escalade SUV. The celebrity couple describe themselves as environmental champions. [Raedwald tweet]

10. Another to be addressed later

Pakistan A Living Hell for Christians. But Takes Foreign Aid From Christian Countries.

On 25 December 2002, several days after a Radical Islamic cleric called for Muslims to kill Christians, two burqa-clad Islamist Radical gunmen tossed a grenade into a Presbyterian church during a Christian sermon in Chianwala in east Pakistan, killing three girls.

After the Karachi killings, Shahbaz Bhatti, the head of the All Pakistan Minority Alliance, told BBC News Online, “We have become increasingly victimized since the launch of the US-led international War on Terror. It is, therefore, the responsibility of the international community to ensure that the government protects us.”

9. Some justice at least

Great news! @realDonaldTrump has DENIED Minnesota’s disaster request to repair half a billion dollars in damage from the riots. Governors and Mayors who ordered police to stand down and watch their cities burn shouldn’t get a penny in taxpayer aid! [Rep Jeff Duncan]

8. Cv and Dr. Mal’s guest

Sunday read.

7. Housekeeping

Have to drastically reduce pictures, readers – even normal size are up around the 200kb mark which is ridiculous – they used to be around 50kg tops. Thus a single screenshot of a tweet is in that area and that simply can’t go on – hence the text is taken where text is available, the screenshot when there’s no text to be found, even by looking around.

As for youtubes, the issue’s not running them here as it is youtube which is putting them out. No, the issue is that there is no reducing size within the post, no official way.

I could go in to html, get the calculator out and put in new numbers but so far it hasn’t worked [in a post] – they are full column width, which changes from time to time. In the sidebar though, they reduce proportionally, which is what is desired.

[H/T Chuckles and haiku as applicable]

10 comments for “Sunday too

1. Ripper
    July 12, 2020 at 16:09

7 – I can’t see what is wrong with plain links if you have something for everyone to see, whether it be a picture, news item or video. Just make them open in a new tab and the reader can come back with just a click. Links cost no real estate and can be freely scattered throughout your post. Unless, of course, I am missing something here and talking through my rear end.

One of my pet hates of the old site was how twitter posts were put up as graphics, personally I would have preferred a link as I like to read the comments, especially if its a tweet from somebody like Peers Morgan or Owen Jones. Nothing more satisfying than seeing those two get ripped to shreds.

2. Ripper
    July 12, 2020 at 16:17

12 – I got diagnosed with type2 diabetes in 2009. I went to the doctors with what turned out to be a kidney infection and they tested my blood glucose while I was there. It should have been around 5 but read 24. Its been under control ever since without recourse to medication of any kind but I still get reviewed once a year. Of course, what the doctor didn’t know, and indeed has never been told, is that during my painful walk to the surgery I polished off 3 packs of soft mints.

3. Distant Relative
    July 12, 2020 at 18:56

12. Bodger Johnson is overweight so now all you lot over there are expected to go on a diet. You can see why he went into politics now…
    11. Irrelevant duo

7. Sitting full square on the bottilode and still not understanding any of that. Is it still OK to post YT links or should I do what I did yesterday and post channel name and title of video so others can go search for it?

• July 12, 2020 at 19:31

I’d say just post the yt url in either form, it makes its own link.

4. Distant Relative
    July 12, 2020 at 19:39

Shall proceed as normal then.

“The immune response to the virus is stronger than anyone thought”

5. ivan
    July 12, 2020 at 21:15

#11, The size of the engine and weight of the SUV is dictated by the amount of armour involved. I assume the requirements are dictated by MI5/6 and have nothing to do with the irrelevant twits.

#7, There are programs that allow you to auto resize images to almost any size you require – that is how I deal with storing screen grabs.

• July 12, 2020 at 21:25

Yes I use one – GIMP – but it does not reduce resolution sufficiently, plus under 400px across is useless for the blog.

We’re talking massive increase in kb now for the same image – it’s changed in the past few months.

• ivan
        July 12, 2020 at 21:50

Strange that, my grabs vary from about 60k for an 800x800px to about 900k for a 1920x1200px.

I use PMView Pro (an OS/2 program) to manipulate most images though I am trying a couple of java based programs for bulk resizing of images in directories.

Comments are closed.